Thursday, November 6, 2008

The Great Binkie Debate

Cameron is a Binkie Baby.....always has been.....



Up until now, I haven't really minded him being to attached to his pacifier. He has always been a great sleeper, and I attribute some of that to him having his binkie. But lately, his binkies have been becoming a major source of drama in our house!! For whatever reason, he HAS to have no less than 5 or so binkies when he sleeps. Lately, he has been throwing them out of his crib at night and screams until I get up and go digging around in and under his bed at 1 am for his binkies....NOT FUN! He knows how to unclip them from his clothes, so clips don't help anymore. I've tried just leaving him alone, but he seriously does NOT sleep without them....he will cry for the rest of the night.
Overall,I'm okay with him having binkies, I don't worry about his teeth or his talking.....I just hate how they are running our lives!!!!!!! I know he'll give them up eventually, I just wish I could think of a way to keep them in his bed with him!!

He also wants his binkies when he's lounging watching a movie. He wants ALL of them. Today I tried to just let him have ONE binkie and keep the rest in his bed. He seriously cried for TWO HOURS this morning because he wanted all of them, not just one. I told him he could have them in his bed, so he went into his room, climbed into his crib and was happy. Goofy kid!! Any suggestions?? Or is this a battle that isn't worth fighting???

7 comments:

Bethany said...

I got rid of McKenzie's when she was 2. She was the same way with binkies and I just knew that I didn't want to be waking up with a newborn and with a 2 year old, searching all over a dark room for the lost binkies. You might try taking him to the garbage can and letting him throw away all but one of the binkies. I did that with Daniel's sippy cups and with Josh's bottles and it worked great. He will decide sooner or later that he doesn't want them, but I have a friend who lets her kids decide and her almost 5 year old still has to have one at naptime and any time he wants to be comforted. If it were me I would rather just rip the bandaid off and get it over with. Just my opinion though.

Becca Jane said...

I know....I've really thought about going cold turkey with it, but knowing Cam as well as I do, I truly think it would end up being MORE of an issue, atleast right now. I think I'd like to let him keep his binkies until the baby comes and let him have that comfort and familiarity.... Maybe I'll duct tape them to him at night!!! :)

The Piquant Storyteller said...

Heath's boss told her kids about the Binkie Fairy. They hyped up the Binkie Fairy for a long time and said that the she takes all the binkies and leaves treats. They were so excited to get rid of their binkies.

The Super Seven said...

Snip holes in them and then he won't want them anymore because sucking them just won't work. Jessica had one probably till she was 3 and I HATED it.....Sarah was easier and the last 2 haven't taken them so I'm not even going to bother with this baby unless I absolutely have to. I would try and get rid of them sooner then later........I was at that point forever ago with how great they were but they also were a problem.....I think once they hit 2 they should just disappear....you need to find something different that he will like instead!!! Good luck!!!

Robyn said...

I love binkies, but eventually the kids become too attached. We didn't take Rachel's away until she was nearly 4 years old--it was just too tramatic. Just remember that it won't get any easier as he gets more attached. I had to have Christian help me--I was too much of a wimp to do it myself.

Jenn said...

Hmm... that's a toughie. Cameron went from being a binkie controlled kid to fine with out it in a matter of days (or maybe it was overnight... it was quick!) He still asks for it, or sticks it into his mouth if he sees it laying around, but all I have to say is "Hey Cam, binkies are for babies, and you're a big boy now" and he'll take it right out and give it to me.
My sister in law has had difficulties with her kids and binkies. She always snipped them little by little until they were gone. It worked with 3 of her 4 kids.

Michelle said...

Wow way to go Cameron. Now that he is taking naps without the pacifier hopefully he will get used to sleeping without it through the nighttime.
Did I ever tell you that I know someone who used to tape a pacifier to her daughters face... it was horrible and she thought it was funny.