Man, this is one active baby we have ourselves here! Cameron was extremely active in the womb also, so I have a feeling I'm in for another overly-energetic child!!! Baby moves all the time now, and Nate can feel it sometimes too. I'm so grateful though, because it makes me feel like Baby is healthy since he/she's so active!!
So it looks like most of you who answered my poll delivered before your due date. Cameron was due on July 16 and was born on July 9, so we were at 39 weeks 1 day with him. I was dilated to a 3 at my 38 week check, and on July 7, I started having majorly painful contractions. We all thought that was it. But after a few hours, everything stopped, and I felt GREAT. It was so weird. That got me dilated to a 4, and nearly 100% effaced. We all thought for sure I would go the next day, but all that Saturday, I felt SOOO good. We BBQed, hung out with family.....I basically begged to get induced, and so Sunday morning I went in (still feeling GREAT) and got put on Pitocin. I lasted about 20 minutes before I got an epidural. I don't consider myself wimpy either......I was seriously paralyzed with pain! I have had some painful experiences in my life, and I thought my level of pain tolerance was pretty good, but I wanted to relax and enjoy giving birth to Cam, so bring on the drugs!!!! It was a relaxing day, and I had Cameron later that night. Not to mention, Cameron weighed 8.5 pounds, so I hate to think about how much he would have weighed if he hadn't of been born for another week!!!!!
This baby's birthday will most likely be either January 10 or 11. I will probably be induced that weekend so that Nate can be there. He's so busy during the week, and with me delivering an hour away from where we live, I would be devastated if he missed it. Some of you may or may not think that "planning" like that is appropriate, but we have NO problems with it, as long as my doctor says my body and the baby is ready. We shall see.......!!!!!!
Friday, July 25, 2008
It's a Party......Apparently!!!
Posted by Becca Jane at 12:59 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
I don't think it is bad to plan the birthday - I think that is awesome. I wish I could have all my babies on the 30th. Then i will just have to remember the months.
I'm all for planning as much as baby will let you! Gavin was unplanned since my water broke 18 days before his due date. I had a c-section since I only dilated to 4 cm. Parker was supposed to be a VBAC but since I have type 1 diabetes we were trying to plan an induction so he would be born at a time that would be safe for both of us. (10 days early) It was a failed induction like Gavin was. After 23 hours of the worst nausea and most painful labor I asked for the c-section. I had stalled at 7 cm. Gwen was a planned c-section. We picked her birthday 2-22-08 so we could remember it. 2x2x2=8. She was almost born at 36 weeks after she was having heart decelerations at a routine non stress test. But it turned out ok and she came on the birthday we chose. (10 days before her due date) So plan away and hope baby cooperates! I don't believe in people planning to deliver before 37 weeks so they can have a smaller baby. That is dangerous to the baby. I read many articles about people who would do that while I went to my NST's.
Tristan, I totally agree that it seems to be the "thing" now to plan C-Sections early, especially in Hollywood. It really bugs me. I agree that it is WAY dangerous for the baby. I should ask my dad what his opinion is....I'm sure he's had lots of experience trying to convince patients to make better choices....heck, he wouldn't even induce ME a day earlier than 39 weeks!
I went three days late, and would have loved to have been induced but my doctor went on vacation and the other one wouldn't. I think it's silly to get induced really early and I think it's irresponsible of the doctor's to do it when people are weeks early unless it's necessary. They tend not to do it here though unless your past your due date by a week...ugg!
To Becca and Sonja,
I heard that babies do much better and have fewer problems if they are born at 39 or 40 weeks. Most doctors don't induce patients unless they are past their due date because obviously there are even less problems if a baby can be born naturally. Many inductions result in surgery. Look at me talk like I'm an expert! I'm not by the way!
The reason why 10 days early was the magic number for me is because of my diabetes. My doctors said that babies born to diabetic mothers do really well being born in the middle of the 38th week. There are a lot of complications that can occur with waiting too long or inducing too early. With Parker my doctor wanted me to wait until I was 39 weeks because Parker and I were both doing so well but it worked out for me to deliver in my 38th week because of her schedule.
I was watching a stem cell show on Nova the other night. My dream is to be cured of my diabetes with stem cells from my own body before I die. It could happen. Until then, I am grateful for the 3 perfect children I have been blessed with and I'm even more grateful I never have to go through the drama of a pregnancy again or the worry of what bad things can happen to my unborn baby. Since Heath and I are fertile mertyl I had my tubes tied with my last c-section to keep me safe from another pregnancy. My safety was the only reason I did anything permanent.
I don't think that there is anything wrong with "planning" a due date so long as your body and baby are ready for it.
I was scheduled to be induced with both of my boys at 38 weeks on the day... but I never made it there... with either. Apparently my body goes into labor on it's own early... Cameron was born at 37w3d and Carsen was born at 37w on the day. By the time I got to 35 weeks with both pregnancies, I was 3 cm and 75% so I was put on mild bed rest until a) I started active labor on my own or b) my induction date (38 weeks). It was a little scary with Carsen because he was born right on the day of being premature/full term, so they were really cautious with everything. I wasn't allowed to hold him right off, and he had a minor breathing/gagging thing going on but he was a fighter and pulled through a-ok!!
Post a Comment