When Cam was a newborn, I was sooooo scared to give him a bath! I made Nate's mom bathe him for the first several weeks....how lame am I? So I still don't really know how to bathe a brand new newborn! Once he was a few months old, Cam loved his bathtime (he still does), so obviously it wasn't such a scary thing for me. We did have a little baby bath for him that we used for quite awhile. We have since gotten rid of it though, so I'm trying to decide if I should get another one or just use the bath/sink. Hopefully with this baby, I will be brave and just bathe her myself instead of making my poor mother-in-law do it!
Earlier this week, my sister-in-law, Andrea gave me some cute maternity clothes (and some of Ivy's smaller diapers, THANKS Andrea!!). She gave me some nursing nightgowns that she had worn in the hospital. I didn't even think to bring my own nightgowns to the hospital, but it would have been really nice! I hate how hospital gowns open in the back, so when you're trying to figure out how to nurse, or if you have to get up and walk around....you're NOT very covered!! I might take these with me this time and see if I like using them better.
Friday, September 26, 2008
Baby Baths and Hospital Gowns
Posted by Becca Jane at 8:34 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Like you I was nervous to bathe a newborn. Honestly, I forget how to do it with each baby. Personally, I think a baby bathtub is easier because the one we have fits on top of a kitchen sink. Perfect height. No need to lean over a regular tub. Plus, the baby can't slip or fall into the water. When I saw your poll I couldn't figure out how someone would use the sink or tub with a baby that can't sit up on their own yet. If anyone reads my comment and thinks I'm an idiot, please explain how you use a sink or tub with a baby younger than 5 months!
I have always worn the hospital gowns in the hospital. Why would I want to leak blood or breastmilk on my own clothes before I have to. I always had 2 gowns. One to wear that opened in the back and one to wear backwards so my butt wasn't hanging out! The gowns snap down from the shoulder for breastfeeding or some hospitals have nursing gowns. I have delivered at 3 different hospitals and never had an issue with gowns.
Well, I know a lot of people just put like an inch or so of water in the sink or tub and just use a cup or wash cloth to pour water over the baby. Some people put a towel on the bottom of the tub so that baby won't slide around...I dunno, I'm NOT the expert in this area of newborn-ness (or ANY area for that matter!)
I'm done with my baby tub, my baby swing, my high chair (no room for it), and more clothes. I wish I still lived across the street from you so I could give you all my baby stuff as I finish with it. But DI will be set!
I've always just used the bathtub. All my kids loved it except Natalie, so after a few tries with her I ended up taking her in the shower with me on Sundays and then sponge bathing her at the sink the other days of the week. She loved that. I would squeeze warm water over her head over and over while the rest of her was wrapped in a warm towel, and sometimes it almost put her to sleep. I always thought it might be nice to have an infant tub, but with all the other expenses of having a baby it just wasn't top on my priority list.
I always used a baby tub until my kiddos could sit up on their own. It made me feel better about something I was uncomfortable with!!!
I just brought a robe to wear over my hospital gown. With Cameron I packed a huge back of nursing tops, nightgowns... and didn't use any of it!! So, with Carsen I just brought a robe and wore it the whole time I was at the hospital. It worked out good for me.
Post a Comment