I have a question for you fabulous moms who are always SO great about giving me your opinions and advice!! How soon after your babies were born did you nurse (or try and nurse)?? My only real regret about Cameron's whole birth experience was that there was a lot of craziness right after he was born, and I didn't even get to just sit and hold and enjoy him until about 4 hours after he was born. By then he was too sleep to nurse. I really think we might have had a better start with nursing if I had been able to try feeding him right after he was born. I think this time I am going to tell family and visitors that they are welcome to be at the Hospital, but I want some time right away with just me, Nate and her. I wanted that with Cam too, but I wasn't vocal enough about it, and by the time he arrived, I was too exhausted and hungry to care! I just wanted food, haha!! Anyway, this time I'd really like to nurse Allie as soon as I can.
Tuesday, December 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
If you were overwhelmed with visitors then you should say something. Stress does affect nursing but what first mom isn't stressed by it all? I honestly believe some babies are just ready for nursing while others have issues that get in the way.
Gavin had a hard time because he held his tongue wrong to effectively nurse. The trainer pacifiers helped him figure it out.
Parker knew what he was doing and nursing was a breeze. Gwen couldn't nurse because she was too uncomfortable with acid reflux.
All 3 of my babies had low blood sugar when they were born so they were given formula right away. I successfully nursed the first 2. Gavin was bottle fed pumped breast milk for a month after he was born and went on to nurse just fine. I actually didn't see Gwen for about 7 or 8 hours after she was born because she was in the NICU. If it weren't for acid reflux I think she would have nursed fine.
Every baby is different and you'll bond with them at different times in different ways. I didn't bond with Gavin for 3 months because of postpartum depression. If you want time alone with your baby ask for it but I don't believe experiences that happen in the first hours after birth affect nursing success nearly as much as some people would have you believe.
Wow, I'm surprised at how many of you don't recommend a changing table...hmm....
For now I'm just going to use the one that goes on top of her pack n play, but when we move into our bigger apartment, I'm considering a changing table. Cameron's dresser could be used as a changing table, I might just put it in her room instead of his. We'll see!!!
Well I hear that it's best to nurse within the first hour and a half. I think I was able nurse Clark in the first two hours and he did pretty well. It must be nice after the first one having the confidence to speak up when you previously haven't. Can't wait to see her!
Yeah I've heard it's best to nurse right after birth when they are wide awake as well. Guess I'll see how it goes!!
From my doula training: The first hour is prime bonding time and it's very important to have time with just you, dad, and baby. Babies don't really eat much because it's colostrum and there's not much of it, but contact within that first hour stimulates milk production, even if they don't latch on. It's also a lot easier for baby to learn to nurse if they have that contact in the first hour. I hope you don't get sick of my comments all the time. I'm just very passionate about certain things and motherhood/labor/birth is one of them. Just tell me if you want me to keep my opinions to myself. I won't be offended...really!
Bethany, I LOVE your comments! Of course you are always welcome to leave them, otherwise I wouldn't ask! I'm glad you wrote that, just gives me one more reason to try a lot sooner this time! Love ya!
I nursed my babies within the first hour and everything seemed to work out great:)
both of mine were nursed in the first hour... and i had problems with nursing both! BUT that bonding time i wouldn't trade for anything! =)
I nurse Aiden as soon as they had suctioned him all out. He took to it like breathing! I recommend trying to do it within the first hour if you can. ;)
Post a Comment