So tonight I was channel surfing and came across a show on TLC documenting baby and child Beauty pageants. It was SO unbelievable that Nate and I seriously couldn't help ourselves from watching! We sat there in complete shock over what some parents will make their children do. These cute girls were SO into their hair, makeup, costumes, etc.... Not to mention the provocative and sassy way they were walking and posing. Talk about sending an awful message at such a young age! I kept telling Nate, "These poor kids, they deserve a real childhood....let them run around outside and play at the park...."
So now our new joke is that I'm going become on obsessive 'pageant mom' and force Allison to strut her stuff at 9 months old!!!
I'm not against beauty pageants....I'm just against them starting SO young....before the child has a real choice in the matter. What do you think???
Saturday, December 13, 2008
Pageant Madness
Posted by Becca Jane at 9:21 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I think I've seen the show you are talking about. I was saddened that the girls who stuck with it were so shallow and self-centered. The one girl sang a song and she was so proud of herself. Singing is NOT her talent but she thinks she's invincible because she's a ditzy blonde in a pageant. I was disgusted with the parents and grandparents putting so much pressure on the girls to win so they could buy a car. Money isn't everything and I think it's disgusting when families take money from their children no matter how the kids came into that money. Making your child compete so they can win some big prize has got to be against child labor laws!!!
I know, they interviewed this little 5 yr old girl and they asked her why she wanted to win and she said "Money, money, money." It was soooo sad. They said that the average contestant spends about $900 to enter, and the prize money is only $1000!!
Hopefully Allie will walk sooner than Isaac did (16 months) or she won't be able to strut her stuff and earn you a net of $100.
That makes me so sad because little children and so precious and innocent and so impressionable. It's sad to see them influenced that way. Maybe you should a stage mom instead. That way when Allie is bigger, she could change the world through politics or something....jk.
I think it's ridiculous too. My niece has been entering pageants and it's really all about her mom. She's two and has no idea what's going on. I think it's all so that her mom can brag on what a cute daughter she has. Plus, like you said it's way expensive to even be a part of. We all know that my daughter is cuter anyway and we don't need a pageant to tell us that. (My niece really is cute, I don't want to bring her down.)
Post a Comment