So how involved is Daddy in the daily routine of taking care of Baby/Kids?? 
Nate is an AWESOME daddy. He and Cameron are best best friends, and Nate will spend hours each week just playing basketball, soccer, Legoes, coloring, cars, & other games/toys with Cam. Like I've said, Nate doesn't have any brothers, so he's loving having a little dude to play with. As far as diaper changing, feeding, etc. Nate is really great. When he's around and not swamped with homework, he is usually really quick to change Cam's diaper or get him a snack. I do honestly feel like we are a 50/50 team when it comes to things like that. However, if Nate is stressed with school or work, he likes to be left alone! I have learned this, and I don't mind taking over during those moments because I think he deserves to have the time to focus on those things. Parenting is about give & take of BOTH parents. Nothing bugs me more than a dead-beat dad who thinks Mom should do everything.
However, when Cam was a baby, I felt very alone in the childcare aspect of it all. I realize now that Nate was just really nervous around newborns and didn't really know what to do! Things got better when Cam was about 3 months old, and I went back to work 2 days a week. Every other week, Nate would watch Cam while I was at work....ALL DAY. Needless to say, I got about 20 phone calls a day, but he did it! I think that he appreciated how tough it is because to this day, Nate has NEVER made me feel like I just "sit home all day and do nothing." I think that Nate being with Cam those few days a month was the best thing ever for him!! I can already tell that things will be MUCH different with this baby. Even with Abby, Nate is quicker to pick her up or entertain her if she's crying. He is a lot more comfortable with babies now.
My ONLY beef with Nate is at night. Nate rarely got up with Cam during the night. I hated that! So I made him promise to help more at night with this baby.....even if I'm nursing, he can still help with diapers, soothing & give bottles. We'll see if it actually happens......
Friday, August 8, 2008
Daddy Day Care
Posted by Becca Jane at 9:40 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
And to add to Nate's Hotness, last night he offered to make dinner (including grocery shopping!). And what did he make? No, not pasta-roni or frozen pizza....my man made this AMAZING Citrus-Ginger Chicken....complete with thyme/orange garnish! It was SO good!!
Nothing sexier than a man who can cook, if you ask me! Thanks Babe!!
Yeah, I agree. I don't know what I did to deserve a man who does 98% of the cooking!
Heath is an awesome dad. I am Nate (we've talked about that before!) when it comes to babies. We are a 50/50 team like you described. It's amazing how when one of us is too close to the edge of insanity (stress related or feeling anger in disciplining, etc.) the other one typically has a cool head to step in and help.
Chris started out fatherhood being the type of dad who thought that I should do everything because I'm the mom, but he has grown a lot and is a great dad now. Chris never got up in the middle of the night either, but I didn't mind because he had to get up and go to work in the morning and I didn't. Plus the kids never would settle down for him like they did for me. Only on the weekends and when I'm sick or unable to get up do I expect him to help more at night. But sometimes I think it would be really nice to NOT have to get up with them every time they cry! OK I should say I guess I do have to "go to work", I just never leave the house when I go to work! :)
Is it still too early to tell?? I found out with both of my kids at 16w2d. But my doc is trained in ultrasound imaging and all that jazz. I don't think I could have waited past 16 weeks! It was killing me to find out... especially with Cam. With Carsen I sort of felt like it I knew it was another boy... or I was willing it to be... hehehe
Jenn, I have my appointment with the ultrasound tech on Sept 2. I will be just over 20 weeks at that point. Luckily August has been crazy busy and is flying by! :) Don't worry, I will definitely let everyone know!
I don't think guys are wired to wake up to baby noises. Christian just didn't seem to hear the kids at night. Some times I'd make him get up, but I'd be awake the whole time and eventually I decided that it is just easier to do it myself--unless I'm overtired and in danger or losing my temper.
Post a Comment