Wednesday, August 20, 2008

18 Week Update

I've been slacking on this blog lately. I haven't been feeling very well though. No specific symptom, just exhausted. I'm tired of the heat.....it's making me even more annoyed at Utah than I usually am!! I can't wait to live somewhere where the weather is much more mild....less hot in the summer and MUCH less snow in the winter!
My appetite is insane with this pregnancy. I am starving ALL THE TIME! I try to fill up on healthy snacks....my latest obsession is oranges. And bagels. And Taco Bell still! I will eat a large meal, and literally 20 minutes later, my stomach will growl.
According to babycenter.com (a GREAT site, I think!), my baby is now about the size of a bell pepper! Go Baby! I am officially in maternity pants....NONE of my regular pants/skirts/capris fit. Shirts are also becoming a slight dilemma. Most of my shirts don't fit anymore, but maternity shirts look ridiculous on me still.
I'm over my "freaking out" phase I had last week about having 2 kids. I am pretty calm about it now....although today I hauled Cam and Abby to Wheeler Farm, and I vow NEVER to take them out without Nate again! Luckily DeAnn and Andrea were there to help chase Cam, but it was still way more work than it was worth!! The insane heat wasn't helping either! I know Cam will get easier as he gets older, but until he gets easier....I'm done with "2-Kid Outings"!!!!
I feel like I have been a bad mom to Cam lately. I can tell this pregnancy and the hormonal effects of it are making me more emotional and uptight, and I feel awful about it. It's not his fault! He is starting to throw tantrums more often, and his newest hobby is screaming at the top of his lungs,which Nate and I do NOT tolerate. I hate getting mad at him all the time, and Nate does too, but we feel strongly that he needs discipline and routine and boundaries during these early toddler years in order to become a well-behaved kid later on. I just wish I had the energy to take him places and play with him like I used to. I cry a lot because I feel like he is getting the shaft...even though I know he's not! This summer has been FILLED with fun days for Cam. Crazy Hormones, leave me alone!!

5 comments:

Bethany said...

I believe you may be describing Oregon my dear! I love babycenter too. I still get updates every month on what milestones kids should be hitting or what to do with different situations. I hear ya on the tantrums/screaming thing. Joshua is doing it all the time. I've started just putting him in his bed if he doesn't stop. I think it's working because he's not doing it quite as much anymore.

Becca Jane said...

Of COURSE I'm describing Oregon!! :)
Yeah we've put Cam in his bed a few times too out of exhaustion and anger, and it helps, but at the same time, I prefer Time-Out instead of his bed so that he doesn't associate his bed with punishment.

The Piquant Storyteller said...

time out instead of bed is smart. It's hard to know whether a kid is acting out because they're tired or some other reason and need a time out. Why can't kids come with manuals???

Bethany said...

I tried time-out for screaming and it didn't work, but I have noticed that most of the time when he won't stop it's because he's tired. He would just scream louder all the way through his time-out while making the rest of the family crazy. So I put him in his bed partly so we can't hear him and partly because I'm hoping he'll go to sleep. With 5 other people in the house, I just have zero tolerance for that kind of noise.

Becca Jane said...

Bethany, I don't blame you! Yesterday I put him in his bed cuz he was screaming, and he ended up just calmly playing in there for about 45 minutes, it was great. I agree that screaming is usually associated more with being tired.
So last night I got to get out on my own and go to Old Navy. I found some GREAT maternity tops that were on sale and don't look too baggy on me....yay!