When did you start your babies on solids???
I love breastfeeding. I think it is absolutely amazing that I can provide ALL of the nourishment my babies need with my own body! I am not shy or embarrassed about this. It doesn't bother me to breastfeed in public one bit. Most of you know that the first several weeks of nursing both of my children were absolutely miserable, but it has become one of my favorite parts of motherhood. I love having so many chances every day to just sit, relax and feed my baby.
I am NO rush to start solids. The general guideline is between 4-6 months of age. I've been doing a lot of research lately on the benefits of breastfeeding. One article states:
"The most important thing to remember is that breastmilk is a nutrient dense food and should be the primary source of your baby’s nutrition throughout the entire first year of life while his brain is growing so rapidly. It is the ideal source of nourishment, and it’s composition changes to meet your growing babies needs. For example, the levels of antibodies in your milk increase as your baby starts solids and takes in less volume of milk, and the fat levels in the milk decrease as your baby slows down on his weight gain in the second six months of life.
According to Ted Greiner, Ph.D and noted breastfeeding researcher, any foods other than breastmilk or formula given during the first 6 months have a displacement rather than additive effect because they displace the fat and calories the baby needs from milk.
From 6 - 12 months, babies need an "educational" diet, where other foods gradually begin to provide for nutritional needs that milk alone can't provide. Breastmilk or formula should be the main source (75%) of calories until the end of the first year."
I think there are some people wondering why I haven't started Allie on solids yet. I plan on waiting 4 more weeks until she is 6 months, like I did with Cameron. Unless she weans herself, I hope to breastfeed her 12 months or longer.
What's your opinion and experiences?
Wednesday, June 10, 2009
Food for Thought
Posted by Becca Jane at 1:16 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
My opinion is too many mothers are in such a hurry for their babies and children to grow up and reach the next stage. On the other hand, some are too nostalgic to allow their babies/children to reach the next stage despite the child's readiness for it. Mothers stress each other out as they all compare one another's children.
That being said, I don't see any nutritional need to start a baby on solids before 6 months especially if they are nursing. I have seen too many children develop allergies as a result of starting solids too soon. Of course, many have not had any adverse affects from early solids.
Also, babies have a built in reflex where they reject food other than breastmilk or formula. So if you start your 3 month old on solids and wonder why they spit more out than they actually eat, that's why!
My boys exclusively nursed for 6 months before we did the solid food thing and they did just fine with that. I started Gwen on solids after a vacation when she was 6.5 months old and honestly, she seemed better prepared for the experience than her brothers were. I think the extra 2 weeks made a big difference.
I completely agree that breastfeeding is one of the most amazing parts of motherhood. After a few meals (at 4 months), I decided to hold off on solids until he turned 6 months. Now he just eats 1 container of veggies and 1/2 a container of fruit per day. We feed him these just before breastfeeding. I have noticed a difference in how much he drinks. I'm completely ok with not feeding him too many solid foods. The pediatrician says that milk alone can't provide enough calories, but little Ben's cheeks and thighs disagree. :) Good luck!
I too agree with the breastfeeding. As you know, Kiernan gets milk at every meal, with or without solids. We started letting him taste some cereal at about 5 1/2 months, because he was getting MAD that he couldn't participate in physically eating with us. At that point, it was only rice cereal mixed with milk, so he was still getting milk.
Then as we got closer to six months, we started solids, and now he REFUSES cereal :) stubborn kid. He *seems* to eat the same amount of milk whether I give him solids or not, so it hasn't bothered me at all, and I figure he's just learning how to like different foods and such. We told our doctor what we were doing, and she was fine with it, and told us to gradually increase his intake as he gets closer to 9 months and to include some meats by then. So, that's what we're doing :)I plan to keep giving him breastmilk until he's a year old. It's obviously doing HIS body good.
Haha Emilie & Michelle....your boys are DEFINITELY getting enough to eat!! :)
I'm just sad that Allie is already old enough to start thinking about solids with her....
I started Kenzie on solids at 4 months and she wasn't ready, Daniel and Natalie at 6 1/2 months and they were great eaters, and Josh at 5 months and he was also a great eater. Josh has done everything early though. I just wait until my babies don't seem satisfied for very long after nursing. But the easiest by far was 6 1/2 months. They never had that tongue thrust thing and they pretty much ate whatever I gave them.
I had no choice with the majority of my six kids because my milk dried up within the first 3 months so I was forced to feed them formula. I think when that happens, the need to feed babies more solid food seem come quicker because of the need for more nutrients. Afterall nothing beats breast milk. However, I do remember starting them on solids well after they were 6 months.
Post a Comment