Thursday, March 5, 2009

It Finally Happened.....

We put Cam to bed tonight, just like every other night. About 20 minutes later, he opens his door and comes out all proud of himself and said "I got out all by myself." DANG IT!!!! We calmly put him back in bed and are crossing our fingers that this isn't the end of our luxurious, calm evenings.
So question.....when you did move your kids into big beds, how did you teach them to STAY there?? We'll probably end up buying a childproof doorknob....but knowing him, he'll figure it out after a day or two! I absolutely refuse to get up with him before 7:30 in the mornings, so I'm not looking forward to this change!

4 comments:

Let the party begin... said...

Oh boy! There goes your peace and quiet, lol. I hope all goes well. I miss your updates on fb. I'm glad you've posted something. Looking forward to more pics of your cute kiddies.

DeAnn said...

The end of an era. I don't remember exactly how we did it with our kids--just that there was a little transition time and now they do fine. We still have Isaac to go. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Yikes! I haven't been there yet so sorry no tips. I can tell you though that once when my sister was really mad at her boys so she put them to bed early but they wouldn't stay in bed and kept turning on the lights (they did something VERY naughty) She took their light bulb. They knew she was serious at that point.

Bethany said...

The only thing that really worked for us was sitting next to their beds until they went to sleep. Once they were used to us sitting right next to their beds we would move farther away. With Josh I would put him in bed and say, "I'm going to go fold some laundry. You need to stay in bed. I will be right back." I would go check on him every couple of minutes until he was asleep. Now all we have to do (most of the time) is put him in bed and say goodnight. Sometimes he cries, but he almost always stays in bed. It took a good month for us to be able to walk away for even a couple of minutes though. We rotated every night too, and very quickly learned that Mom is firmer than Dad. Good luck! Maybe he'll be easy. I was never so fortunate. I think we may be having to switch Natalie's crib to a toddler bed soon too because she keeps getting her legs stuck in the rails at night. I'm fighting it though, I don't think I'm ready to train another one just yet.