Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Farewell to the nap??

What age did your kids stop napping?? Cameron has stopped napping, it's been almost a week now, DARN!! I still put him in his bed for an hour or 2 for my own sanity though!!

8 comments:

Erica said...

Cambrie quit napping about a couple months before she turned two. I would put her in her crib and she would just scream the entire time or she would finally fall asleep for a little bit, but then she wouldn't go to bed either and she would scream forever before she would go to sleep at night. Finally I got tired of fighting her to take a nap and then fighting her to go to bed so I just didn't have her nap anymore and I put her to bed early and life was so much better for both of us. She goes right to sleep when I put her to bed now, it is great. Since she doesn't have a nap and when I need a break, I usually just tell her that I need a time out and I put her in her room and she just plays for awhile, or I just let her watch a movie.

Erin said...

Working at various daycares I noticed that kids will stop taking naps anywhere from 3-5 years old. I think that it is important to note though that they still had to sit/lay on the nap mats and have quiet time. So, if Cameron truly is weening off of his naps (and is not just going through a phase because he is SO excited to be a big brother) then maybe you can explain that he doesn't have to nap but he does have to have quiet time. Being a mom is always such a guessing game. ;) Good luck.

Robyn said...

Nathan still naps really well, and he'll be 4 soon. It saves my sanity! He'll probably stop over the summer when the girls are home, though. Definitely keep putting down, even if he doesn't sleep. You both need some quiet time!

Anonymous said...

E is 6 ans still takes a nap (when he is not at school) and goes down at 7pm and sleeps until 7am. My kids are both really great sleepers. I am sorry Cam is giving you a run for your money. I wish I knew what to tell you:)

Becca Jane said...

Well, today he took a 2 hour nap...so who knows what's he's doing! I will probably keep putting him down for atleast some quiet time, he can sleep or not, but atleast he's in his crib! I guess the plus side if he is starting to be done with naps is that he goes to bed SO great at 6:30 if he doesn't nap! NICE!

The Piquant Storyteller said...

Everyone has given you good advice. Remember that every kid is different so don't worry about what other kids are doing. Gavin stopped napping when he was 2. Parker will be 4 in a few months and he still naps. Insisting on quiet time is the only way you will win this. You simply CAN'T make a child do anything including sleeping and eating. So tell him to play in his room until you get him (an hour or 2 later). Bumping up his bedtime to compensate for the missed nap is a good idea too. I only moved bedtime up 1 hour and that was enough for us. You don't need to put Cameron to bed his whole naptime earlier!

Bethany said...

McKenzie stopped napping when she was 15 months, Daniel when he was almost 3, Josh just stopped about 2 months ago, and Natalie (thankfully) still takes one nap a day. It really does just depend on the kid. Josh could probably use a nap still some days, but if he does take one he doesn't go to sleep until 10 or 11 that night. Personally, I would rather have him sleep at night than during the day.

Becca Jane said...

Tristan, his usual bedtime is 7 pm, so he only goes down 30 minutes earlier than usual if he doesn't nap!!